Friday, December 29, 2017

7 Quick Takes! A Recap of Life in the Tiny House This Week! Our First Debt Free Christmas, Santa's Elves Argue Sometimes, and Deep Fry ALL THE MEATS!


This is the last 7 quick takes of 2017! 

This year went fast. It has been one heck of a good year for us all here in our tiny corner of the world. 
As we round out the year I will be making a post to recap our year. 

For today, let's talk about Christmas and a few things going on around here.

 

1. Our first debt free Christmas!!

 No, that does not mean this is the first year we didn't pay for Christmas with credit cards.

It is our first Christmas being 100% debt free! Yes, the house too. 

Let me tell you, for those of you in the thick of your baby steps...keep going! It gets better!

I have had more joy and excitement this Christmas than I can remember in a decade of years past. I know it is in part because I am better, but the major factor was the debt. The Christmas ham tastes a little different on this side of the baby steps. Seriously.
2018 is about to begin. If you haven't made a budget and climbed on the Dave Ramsey wagon yet, this is the perfect time. Start your year right!



2. Santa Came! (I heard the elves arguing)



  I have been wanting to kill the Santa thing for a few years now. We have been cutting back on what Santa brings and we only currently have one 'believer', but it is so hard to do that to this kid. She is very passionate about her love of Santa. So, Santa can stay, a little longer. Especially since he seriously delivered this year. We had told the girls that there was no way we could fit a barbie doll house, in this house. Especially the last few years because, it was under construction. I didn't think it would ever fit either. However, I scoured the internet and found two that would fit! Success! 


  I had totally prepared the kids for it not to happen. Let the air out of their balloon multiple times about it. All while sitting in the hallway for ten minutes at a time measuring and remeasuring to make sure it would fit! I did some serious praying for this darn doll house. (When you live small, every item you own is a commitment!) I also had to convince the husband. I showed him pictures, discussed the dimensions and talked at length to him about it. He agreed.


  Fast forward to Christmas Eve, after he had already put the house together. We bring it into the living room and set everything up. This is when Dustin decides to start questioning the decision to have a doll house. We might have had a mini argument about the house. He swore up and down that it wasn't going to fit in the spot I had chosen. I explained to him that I had spent over an hour in the hallway making sure it would fit. He still told me there was no way. I was starting to doubt it as well at this point. 

 This all resulted in both of us crouched outside the girls room, with a tape measure, at midnight, on Christmas Eve, hissing under our breath at each other, measuring the wall...for the fifty thousandth time!

Until he finally agreed that it would 'Just barely' fit.





It definitely fit, with 1.5 inches to spare. Our tiny house has a barbie house in it! 
**Addison said Mrs Claus must have built the house, because it was so pretty!**


3. Deep fry all the meats!!

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Dustin's new hobby, his outdoor cooker. This guy takes deep frying meats very seriously. 
On Christmas Eve he deep fried a rib-eye roast. I really wasn't so sure about that, but it turned out amazing!
On Christmas he deep fried a spiral honey ham. People, this is probably heaven sent. It tasted like ham wrapped in bacon and melted into one. Perfection. 

 


 
4. Christmas randoms

 Now you get a bunch of random pics of us on Christmas. Because you know you want to see it. :)






 
Christmas with our friend MA.


5. Spend all the money! Wait, maybe not...


 A certain Grandma went BIG this year and gave each of the kids $50 cash, instead of their usual $25. The kids were blown away. So, SO excited! We went to town to blow their cash this week. Apparently some of the 'Spend, Save, Gift' that we have been pouring into them has been sticking. Each of them ended up putting some away, spending some and then they pulled together and purchased some clothes for a little girl in need.

So proud of these kiddos!

6. Ok, Christmas is over. Time to purge all the stuff!

 I am a minimalist at heart. 

 Our small house may not always look minimal. There are a lot of people in here! However, we tend to own much less than the average american family. Especially a larger than 'normal' american family. Our house is very small. Every item has to have a home, a purpose and it needs to be chosen to get to stay.

As much as I love Christmas, I am more than ready for the clutter and decorations to be gone by the eve of the 25th! I was nice and left it up until the 26th this year. Then as usual, I started my entire house clean/purge. I do it every year after the holidays. 

The major items that needed sorted this year were the book shelves. I tend to struggle with this.  I am a book lover, and a homeschool Mom. We need books to function. It is very hard for me to minimize these items. However, I was good and went through every shelf, in the house. We got rid of a lot. 5 boxes of books, two large trash bags of toys and one large bag of trash.

That is all books to donate.


The school shelf can finally breathe, and so can I. Now I can prepare for the next half of the school year. My house has to be clean for me to think.

I went full geek this time and sorted the books by subject, and grade. Then I labeled each shelf. I am also going to be getting some color coded stickers to label all of the books to their corresponding shelf. Yes, I know how over board that sounds. I can't help it. Order makes me happy.  

 

 We also went through the Barbies, baby dolls and Anna's toys. Almost all of her toys fit in these drawers. I got rid of a few more items after taking this picture. We even got super organized and labeled the drawers.

 

7. He won't tell me what it is...

  Dustin was being all sneaky on Christmas Eve. He had his face in his phone for a little while and was very distracted. Which is weird for him. He is usually very present with us.

  A little while later he informs me that he ordered something for us. I will supposedly be super surprised and excited. It is a custom order item and is would be here by Friday(today). Well, turns out it shipped late, and won't be here until Wednesday!

He is giving me the weirdest hints and it is driving me crazy.

It does not have a screen, or need wifi. It does not have to be plugged in, but it would help. I can use it in any room but probably won't want to keep it in the kitchen. The shipping weight is exactly 10.8 lbs. It is small. He also claims it is going to make our lives easier, I'm going to love it and we both will get daily use out of it.

I'm really starting to wonder what this could possibly be.

Anyone care to take a guess? 

I'll reveal what it is next week. :)

Blessings!
~Lyndsay

3 comments:

  1. Nope that needs wifi. What about one of those vacuums that the baby can ride on hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. #6, I know exactly what you mean. There is NOTHING that feels better than getting rid of your Christmas stuff after it's been taking up space all month!

    ReplyDelete