Thursday, November 6, 2014

Homemade Noodles= Free Therapy

I grew up making and eating homemade noodles quite often. Then I married my amazing husband and he was not a fan of homemade noodles. So I rarely ever made them. A couple times for church functions and family get togethers. That was it.
I have missed them. I finally pinned down why he didn't like them and we came to a compromise.
He says they are not filling and he is always hungry an hour later. He suggested I serve them with something else...like a baked potato. I grew up eating them with mashed potatoes...so the baked potato part seemed very foreign to me. I figured anything was better than nothing at that point and agreed to baked the potatoes instead of mashing them.
I'm glad we agreed on this because the noodles were a big hit. Each of the children had seconds, if not thirds. I enjoyed them and loved bringing a new meal to the family table.
I think I enjoy the process of the noodles even more than I enjoy eating them.
Cooking and picking the chicken. Seasoning the broth.
Mixing the All purpose flour with baking soda and salt(I do not purchase self rising flour)..adding the eggs and stirring.
Kneading, rolling and flouring to dry.
Waiting, and waiting...
Then letting the children help roll, slice and tear the noodles.

My favorite part is adding the noodles to the broth and watching it dip and twist. Seeing the clear broth thicken and turn into a creamy gravy just makes the world seem a little more right...a little less unpredictable.

I am not the type to add food coloring to my food..and I keep that rule with my chicken and noodles. Why go to all the trouble of making a meal from scratch and in the healthiest form (less chemicals) possible to turn around and add more chemicals to it.

The compromise seemed to have went over well here at the tiny house. The husband was happy and his belly was full, the children got to experience one of my favorite childhood meals and I got to make one of my favorite meals.

Plus the process of making noodles is so relaxing and therapeutic...and the end result of a steaming bowl of noodles on a rainy fall evening...is a very rewarding feeling.

Oh and as for the compromise. I took the skin off my potato, smashed it in my bowl and added butter and then put the noodles on top. ;) Because a country girl has got to have her mashed potatoes under her chicken and noodles.

Happy Fall!

-Lyndsay

No comments:

Post a Comment