Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Algebra

 Let's talk about algebra for a minute. I graduated early, from homeschooling, at the age of sixteen. I did not finish all of my upper level arithmetic books, although I did pass the GED test with flying colors. 
 Ask me how many times I have needed upper level math in my life....basically zero. 
 Although I find math, especially upper level high school math to be very important. Studies have shown that it improves cognitive function and problem solving capabilities. I'm a big supporter of completing your high school math curriculums before leaving school.
 Even though I have rarely ran into any issues in life where I needed information that I didn't already have in my brain, it is still useful for increased knowledge and understanding. Plus I'm sure some people go into a career field that those maths are necessary. 
 Well, fast forward about nineteen years, I'm homeschooling four kids, and two are in high school. The math just got real people! They got to the point that I couldn't help them. Especially when they wouldn't need my help for a few lessons and then I would get dropped in the middle of an algebra lesson and I'd have no idea what was going on. 
 My husband and I discussed what to do. We had all but decided to change to a video program next semester, but that didn't help with this school year. Which resulted in me going back to school over Christmas break. I started at the very beginning of their algebra book and I did every single lesson. It took me longer than Christmas break to catch up to where Alex was. He was on lesson 94 when I had him pause and wait for me to catch up. It took me 5 weeks to complete all the lessons, and then we continued on together. It was a long five weeks for me guys! I had to have my husband help me a couple of times, Alex helped me a couple here and there and I even had to phone a friend here and there. Plus I'm pretty sure I will never be able to correctly calculate the mass and volume of a cylinder. Mine comes out wrong every time. Thankfully my kids haven't had an issue with those lessons yet. Maybe they can teach it to me? 
 I half expected to get some mixed reactions from my kids when I told them I didn't finish upper level maths, and I had to start over and learn it with them. I have always loved math, but that doesn't mean it is always easy. I was surprised when my son hugged me and told me he was proud of me for backing up and learning it all again.
 I'm glad I did it, and I plan to study the next math book over the summer before we start it in the fall. Let's be honest, Alex isn't my only high school student to come, I want to be able to help all of my children when they need it.  Now that I know I can help them, we probably won't switch to the video curriculum next year. I'm already learning it with them and I would hate to stop my education now. ;) 
  While the debate may be out on how much the average person needs algebra in their daily lives as an adult, I still find it important. I will still teach it to my kids. 

Do you ever struggle to help you children with their schoolwork? 


No comments:

Post a Comment