Sunday, January 7, 2018

2018 Goals


  I am not a resolution person. I tried that years ago and it is a pretty quick way to end in failure.

  Instead, I make small goals and build on them each month and even over years.

This life is a journey, and no one said the end goal was perfection. I tried perfection, that doesn't work.

We are working toward being a better version of ourselves and growing in wisdom and closer to Christ.

I am making a small list of things I would like to work toward changing, making better and even building upon from years before.

#1. Read the entire Bible

  We started reading through the Bible as a family in January of 2017. Some of us kept going all year, but all of us got off track. We have kept pushing and will continue until we finish.
  I'm personally a little over 1/3 of the way through. My goal is to finish this year.

#2. Read 12 books

  I love to read! Always have, and probably always will. During certain seasons of my life (a.k.a. When there's a baby in the house.) I don't get to read much. My hands are full and my body is exhausted. The books get put to the side for a while.

  I felt a personal conviction, about 7 years ago, about reading multitudes of fiction (I read Breaking Dawn in 48 hours) but I couldn't finish the Bible? Major conviction. So I made a personal commitment to not read a lot of fiction. At least junky fiction.

  My main focus is non fiction, biblical, budget/financial, minimalist, homeschooling and historical fiction/non fiction. (I'm always open to title recommendations! Tell me in the comments. I'll add it to my list.)

I have read that some of the most successful people in the world read 4 books a month. Wow. 48 books a year! I would love to be there right now. I know myself and I'm starting small. One book a month is a good goal for me for 2018.

*I'll share which titles I read and thoughts on them as well.

#3. Lift 2x & Walk 7 Miles Per Week

  A few years ago I was in very good shape. I may not ever get completely back to there, and I'm ok with that. Being healthy, fit, active and happy is important to me. Not seeing a certain number on the scale or on my jeans.
It falls by the wayside every time I have a baby. Especially after Anna. She is finally settling into being two and becoming independent enough that I can focus back on my own physical health.

 
4. Continue the swap

Over the last couple of years we have started the slow process of switching household items over to healthier options. We have finally turned a corner and I feel like we are getting the upper hand on most of the items.

This year I will be focusing on my make up, the rest of our cleaning products and probably shampoo and conditioner.

When I say it is a slow process I mean it. I research items and only change one item at a time.

5. Sewing and Crafting

I used to do a lot more crafty stuff a few years ago. Life happens and those things got pushed to the side for quite a few seasons. I have been blessed with some pretty amazing and gifted daughters who love to create, craft and get their hands dirty.(Alex enjoys certain aspects of art and crafting as well. Drawing, painting etc. He gets it from his Dad.)
My focus this year is to spend more time being creative with them.

6. Gardening and Spending Time Outside

I do not spend enough time outside, which means it reflects on the kids as well. It's better for all of us to be outside on a regular basis.
  I also love to garden and do yard work. This old house is ready to have the yard be put into it's rightful state. It's going to take a lot of work. But we have many hands to make the work go quickly.
  It has been 6 years since I had a real garden. Dustin promises it is happening this year. I'm praying he has time to help me build the beds. Then the kids and I can do the rest. I've missed gardening. It's one of my joys.

Well, there you have it. Nothing all too life changing, world shattering or shockingly unheard of.
Just a homeschool mom and wife doing her thing. Trying to be a better version of herself.

What are your goals for 2018?

~Lyndsay

No comments:

Post a Comment