Friday, March 4, 2016

Budget Friendly, Husband Approved, 'Sausage McMuffins' (Video How To Included)


Dustin is not a fan of eating breakfast super early in the morning. He leaves for work fairly early, he prefers to eat his breakfast at his first break.
At first he was eating off of the 'Food Truck'..and not one of those nice food trucks you see on tv. Plus is wasn't very cheap. When I realize how much he was spending on his breakfast, as well as what kind of a food truck it was(Gross and SO unhealthy!)...we decided it was time to come up with a solution.

So, I went to Pinterest!
Yay Pinterest!

That was back in the Summer...I found an awesome breakfast burrito recipe. It made 30+ burritos for a fraction of the price he was spending for the burritos at work. He really liked them. They were quick and easy for me to make. Once I had them made I could sort of forget it for a few weeks..and all he had to do was grab one and toss it in his lunch lox on his way out the door. Once at work he puts in his heated lunch box, and it is piping hot by first break.

 I made those for a few months.

About 2 months ago he started saying that he was getting tired of his burritos. (How dare he mess with my budgeted breakfast system!) He said he would really like some breakfast sandwiches, like Mcd's, only better.
So back to the drawing board I went. It had to be tasty and it had to be cheaper than actually purchasing them from the place with the golden arches. Why?? Because I am just that frugal. ;)

I had some certain parameters to work within.

1. It had to have Bob Evans sausage, But not the premade patties.Because they shrink up like hockey pucks!

2. It had to have Kraft American cheese. (Because, if you are going to have processed cheese product, it had to be the good kind. ;) )

3. It had to be easily freezable and had to go seamlessly from freezer to heated lunchbox to table. If there were any other steps in between...it was a no go.

Ok! Let's get started!

Here is what you will need!

2lbs BobEvans Sausage (I get ours at Sam's Club)
Kraft American Cheese (Aldi)
English Muffins (2 Packs, Aldi)

You will also need

A skillet or griddle
Aluminum Foil 
Gallon Sized Ziploc Bags
A Toaster

Everything you will need to make this amazing Mc Muffins!


Now it is time to get cooking!

Our sausage comes in a 2lb tube. I am not very skilled in the department of cutting them in uniform slices. So I cut the long tube in half. It is easier to work with it 1lb at a time. I divide the each lb into five even pieces. Make sure they are even!
Then form patties and cook. 
Be sure to make the patties as flat as you can.






Cook and Drain the Sausage Patties.
While we are at it, take a look at that beautiful griddle! 
I got it for Christmas.
Love it!! :)



While the Sausage Patties are cooking I get all the foil pieces prepped and set up the toaster. 
We are shooting for fast assembly line style here. 
Slice the Muffins
Label the gallon size bag
Now you are ready to......Assemble!!!

Toast a Muffin, Add sausage and cheese.
Wrap up tightly
Repeat 10 times
Freeze in labeled ziploc bag

Now if you are me..you get to forget it about for two weeks..and the husband can happily eat breakfast at his first break without breaking the budget or risking his health.



A Few Thoughts/Tips and Some MATH

(Because, what is the point of all of this if we don't include the math?! You know that is the only reason you came and bothered to read up until this point.)


1. Don't forget to lightly toast the Muffins. 
Someone has continually reminded me that this is the utmost important step..and I must not forget.
Even though I have not forgotten to toast a single one yet.
You would think he thinks I have gotten forgetful after having four children or something. LOL


2. Be sure the sausage is divided evenly, or you might hear about how inconsistent they have turned out.
 I love my husband dearly, but he is pretty adamant about consistency with his meals. I am a free spirit...it is SO HARD to make everything so similar every time I do it. I love him though, so I strive for consistency. However, I like to keep things slightly inconsistent just to keep him on his toes...so.. no two McMuffins are wrapped the same! 

 3. Try to flatten the patties as thin as possible. Because..no matter how flat you get them...they WILL shrink up!

4. You can save even more money on these by using non name brand products. My husband really prefers Bob Evans and Kraft. However, if I was to use the sausage from our butcher it would be SO MUCH cheaper! The American cheese can obviously be purchased for less.
The English Muffins....I have used the good brand (Thomas), and we have used a few of the off brands. I have also made them from scratch before. (That was before Anna. I seriously don't have the time right now.)
The brands do not seem to make too much of a difference in the taste and consistency...and I have found that Aldi has the cheapest price as of this moment in time. 

5. It is best to assemble it all while it is warm so the cheese can melt and everything can stick together in true "McMuffin' form. 

6. You do not have to use foil. Clear wrap or wax paper, parchment paper or some other form of wrapping would obviously be cheaper. We do not have that option because his heated lunch box gets too hot and will melt/burn anything else. So, Foil it is for the THH family!

NOW...For the money!
(Because we all know this is why I even bother with all of this stuff. ;) )

Dustin can get a Sausage McMuffin from McDonalds for $1.
Or he can get something similar from the 'food truck' (Gag) for $2.75 (Highway robbery)

I can make them for roughly $.90.
Like I stated above, you can bring the price down even more with less expensive ingredients.
All of that being said. I'm pretty happy with the price considering the guidelines I had to work with. 


Now for your viewing pleasure, We have started making some how to videos to go along with the blog posts. Because..why not?! I hear we are rather entertaining. But hey, you be the judge. 

 Oh and don't forget to like, comment and subscribe! Thanks!
Be nice! :)

What are your budget favorite budget friendly breakfast ideas?!



Happy Friday!

~Lyndsay 

2 comments:

  1. We make these all the time (except we usually use turkey ham instead of sausage) and call them "breakfast sandwiches." We never have them for breakfast though, not enough time in the morning. We always have breakfast sandwiches for lunch or sometimes dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids keep asking why I haven't made any of them for them to eat too. lol
      We have the ingredients often but we eat them in a different form of a meal. biscuits and gravy, biscuit sandwiches etc.

      Delete