Monday, July 31, 2017

Slow Days, They Are Important

When the oldest two were young, we would spend days upon days at home. We had no one that needed us, no place to be, no obligations. 

 If is wasn't our twice a month grocery trip, church on Sundays, Dr appointments or the occasional visit with friends, our lives were pretty wide open.

We built forts, finger painted, played playdough, read books, took naps, explored the world outside, baked cookies, wore pajamas most days and took life slow. Very slow.

In the past it was the occasional day that we left the house.

Fast forward about a decade and add in two more kiddos. Life is a bit more busy (not my favorite word). There is a business to help run, cross country, basketball, church, homeschool co-op,  art class, orthodontist, Dr appointments, library trips, visits with friends, and many more obligations. Plus, the oldest two have a more active social life than I do.  

Now it is the occasional day when we get to stay home. 


In the midst of the running, errands and life, we have to try to carve out a whole and full education. Time to make memories, read books, bake cookies, play cards, learn new craft skills, and take naps.



When the oldest two were young, I never thought I would miss the slow days. Now I crave them. I need them. We need them. Our family, homeschool education, bodies and brains need them.

They seem to be easier to carve out in the Winter. Spring, Summer and Fall can be a bit tricky, if not almost impossible.

When we do get them, I try to take advantage of them. I have been learning not to fill them with a long list of things that must be done. However, I'm learning to leave them open for things that fill our hearts and rest our bodies and souls.
We leave openness for memories to be made. 


Every slow day looks different. They are the most fun when we let them unfold on their own.




We had a slow day on Saturday. We had a tea party in the yard, played cards outside, baked muffins, made cookies, read books and worked on our own crafting projects. Then finished off the day with a taco feast and a movie night when Dad came home from work.




 Slow days are my favorite days. 




I sometimes worry that they will slip away. I often wish to go back to when they were younger. I would do my best to enjoy it more, to be less restless, to relish in the slowness.

For now, I will just do my best to enjoy the slow days we receive. Because I'm pretty sure ten more years will pass, in the blink of an eye, and I will be left longing for this time as well.





So, for the new moms who feel like they are surrounded by littles and never get to leave the house.
Enjoy the slow days. Soak them up. The days may be long, but the years are short. They will be gone in the blink of an eye.

Make hand print art, read Brown Bear for the five millionth time, make a blanket fort, lay in on a blanket in the grass and watch the clouds. 




 Try not to think of all the things you could be or should be doing. Don't waste your afternoon wondering if you should be doing more, or filling their time with structured activities. They are always learning!






These day are good for them, and for you!

Blessings,

~Lyndsay


1 comment:

  1. I miss those slow days. Before my first started school, we were totally on our own schedule. We once went three days before realizing we'd missed Daylight Savings Time! The day stretched on forever and was divided into Before Naptime and After Naptime. I loved those days.

    ReplyDelete