Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Accidental Zucchini Cake Recipe


 See this zucchini cake?




Well, I have a story to tell you!
This was supposed to be zucchini bread! It was a new recipe and it was a total flop.
At least for what I was expecting it to be.

Zicchini bread is typically a moist, dense bread. Similar to banana or pumpkin bread.

This turned out more like a coffee cake. It actually tasted a lot like one too, only with zucchini in it. 

Normally, we would just eat it and move on with life...never to be made or spoken of again. I fully planned to throw the recipe away.

Total. fail.

However, I had made the 'bread' for a potluck at our homeschool co-op. There was no time to start over with something else.

So, I decided to try to salvage the disaster and make icing for it. Everything tastes better with icing.

Of course, I was out of powdered sugar. Thankfully, I had a dear friend coming over for coffee and she picked me some up. (Thanks, Courtney!😘)

We stood on the kitchen over this bread turned cake and discussed the options. We finally settled with drizzling the icing over the cake .
 We even did the hardest part and tasted it, multiple times. Just to be sure, don't you know. ;)

I took the 'cake' with me...and seriously considered not labeling it or even admitting to bringing it. But I'm one of 'those moms' that is super concerned about allergies.

So, I labeled it. 

Vowing not to tell anyone I had brought it.

Fully planning to dumb the tray in the trash at the end of the night.

However, my flop of a bread turned cake, went over BIG!
People asked who make it and I really considered not claiming it! It had to be a disastrous mess!

Nope, they wanted to know who made it so they could ask for the recipe. I kept trying to tell them that 'No, no! This was not good. It was a mistake, a mess, an accident.'

However, at least four people asked for the recipe and I had a few others stop by and give it compliments.

I was blown away.
Normally, I'm the person who has the total flop at potlucks, or the person who does OK. But have never been the person who brought something people talked about. Lol

So. I decided to go ahead and claim the recipe for my own. Because I  did change the recipe  and add stuff to it. So technically I invented  a recipe. Right?, Right! I've decided to name it ...it's name shall be...

Accidental Zucchini Cake...

Because that is what it is and we are real here in this space. Plus, didn't some of the greatest recipes and inventions come from total accidents?

Or someone pursuing something else?

Well, here you go, Lyndsay invented something.

 

Never thought I would say that!
(Mentally adds item to bucket list, and checks it off. *Fist Pump!*)

So... without further annoyances
 (We all know the story before the recipe is annoying...and yet, we continue to  write them)

I give you the recipe, that I invented, totally, not on purpose.

Accidental Zucchini Cake
(Although,we all know no one is going to bother calling it by it's first name)

Ingredients

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbs ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted) 
2 cups white sugar
3 tsp vanilla 
2 cups grated zucchini 

Directions

- Grease 9x13 pan Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

- Beat Eggs, butter, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in zucchini until well combined. Pour batter into 9x13 pan.

- Bake 40-60 minutes, or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing and or adding icing.  





Icing Recipe

Ingredients

1 Stick of butter (NOT margerine) (Room temperature)
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
3 1/2-4 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla 

Directions

Cream the butter. Add powdered sugar and mix, one cup at a time. 
Add vanilla. Add milk 1tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.


 **You should thin it just a bit, with milk, if you plan to drizzle it over the cake. **
You will also only need about half of this recipe for the cake. It freezes well for other treats!


 

Accidental Zucchini Cake Recipe












If you decide to try my invention of a zucchini bread, turned into cake. I would love to hear how it turns out for you!

Happy Summer!

~Lyndsay

1 comment: