Friday, August 25, 2017

7 Quick Takes, A Recap of Life in the Tiny House This Week! The Great Trash Can Debate, Toxic Tomatoes and Why I Hate Technology

 It's Friday! 

That means it is 7 Quick Takes day! The day every week that I entertain you with the happenings of our life in the tiny house this week. There are almost no pictures this week. 

Read on to find out why.



1. Technology fail

  Anna got her hands on my phone  this week. Typically this wouldn't be an issue. However, she has recently discovered how to 'clean' things with baby wipes. She is not supposed to play with the wipes or my phone.
I left the room for a couple minutes and returned to her squeezing wipe juice onto my screen and wiping it. I took it from her and dried the screen. Didn't really think much about it. Two minutes later my phone started acting completely possessed by demons. The screen became striped (think original nintendo screen), tinted green and would randomly blink black, red and green.
I had about 2000 pictures that were not backed up. Plus as much as I hate to admit it, my life is in my phone. Phone numbers, calendar of events, schedule, school schedule, all of the links I use and even some of my writing. *Sigh* I was a little lost without it.
I'm also very frugal and do not like to have to replace my phone, even though we do have insurance on them. I dislike change and that especially includes technology.
After freaking out, slightly hyperventilating and doing all of the usual things to fix it. I said a prayer over it and put it into a bag of rice for about twelve hours. It helped some. At least enough to remove the images and some important info. Then I put it back on rice for another entire day.
Amazingly it is now fixed! No more crazy screen and it is right back to normal. Praise the Lord!
 I had already decided I would just live without a new phone and use the old back up one we keep on hand.

*That is why there are basically zero pictures from the week. 


2. Rotten tomatoes

We visit our beloved local farm stand often.  The owner of the stand is named Tricia. We love Tricia.
Last week were gifted some tomatoes from a lady at homeschool co-op. We also visited Tricia on the same day that we received the tomatoes from co-op. 
Somewhere in the mix of the influx of tomatoes and the craziness of co-op day... (Co-op day is SO CRAZY!)  tomato was lost in the shuffle. I of course was oblivious to this until yesterday (the next week's co-op day.) It was late afternoon and we were at cross country practice. I kept smelling something strange. Addison was hanging in the car with me and helped to hunt down the smell. It wasn't the baby, I checked her twice. It wasn't a lost sippy cup, or a stray fast food bag.  Nope, none of the usual offenders. Plus we had just cleaned out the van earlier in the week.

It was this lost tomato. 


 Since I'm pretty sure most of the people we socialize with outside of homeschooling already find us strange, un-socialized and slightly weird...I decided to wait until after we got home to deal with it. They already stopped practice last week to watch Anna screaming and watch me throw a carseat out of the van and peel out of the parking lot in my haste to get Anna to the Dr said. They didn't need to see me removing toxic waste from my mini van also. 


It was organic, but I still felt it wouldn't have gone over very well.



3. Lots and lots of painting!  

Dustin finished putting up the wainscotting over the weekend. I also started painting. It is looking really good! I still have hours of painting to do this coming weekend. Dustin is also putting the final coat of grout on the backsplash. It is coming together. We can not wait for it to be finished and I can not wait to make a post about it for you all to see!


4. We walked in circles all week

In the process of finishing the kitchen and making space for some really neat shelving. (AHH!!! I'm so excited about the shelving!)  We moved the trash can out of the kitchen. I am a firm believer that there are two types of people in the world. Those who strongly believe trash cans should not be in the kitchen, and those who don't really care. Dustin is one of those people who really feels strongly about it. I, being the person who does most of the cooking, prefer to have it in the kitchen. It has been a frequent topic of conversation at our house for the last 15+ years.
Well, Dustin finally won the discussion and the trash can has been moved to the utility room. Mainly out of lack of space for it in the kitchen, because of the shelving! EEK THE SHELVING!!! **Can you tell I'm excited?**

The trash can had stayed in basically the same place since we moved in three years ago. It has maybe moved three feet as the kitchen has been renovated and finished. Now it was a good 10-12 feet in the opposite direction.
I am not even joking when I tell you that most of us walked in circles half the week, looking bewildered and carrying an arm load of trash. Emma and I especially struggled. We are the main cleaners and chefs in the house. There was even a moment where someone (it was me) threw an egg yolk and shell in the general direction of where the trash can used to be.
I am positive that I took no less than 1000 extra steps a day trying to find that darn trash can all week!

5. One of the reasons why I love being married to a diesel/mechanic technician

We recently opened a new business location in our new town. It is going well and Dustin is so much happier working for himself again. It is also nice having him closer to home. He used to over a two hour commute each day. Now he is less than ten minutes away.
My favorite perk of him being so close by, I can have him look at my van any time it starts to make weird noises or do strange things. Which is what happened yesterday. He is so great. He stops everything he is doing to take a look.
 


If he happens to ask though, my favorite perking is seeing him more and having lunch with him a couple times a week. ;)


6. Handicrafts

 Our homeschool has a strong Charlotte Mason approach. Part of that is every child learning a handicrafts. The kids each pick a few to try each year. They also have to complete a project from each topic they choose.
The girls are easy. They love to bake, sew, crochet etc. We are even trying pottery this fall!
 Alex is a little more difficult to find a thing for him. I am requiring that he work on cooking. He is also helping his Dad with Precious. We are still looking for another couple of things for him to try.
That being said, Alex has done a very good job at coming up with ideas that he wants to include in the handicraft that are definitely in fact not a handicraft. Such as, Minecraft, Xbox, etc.
We'll find one for him.

7. At least he is still proud to be married

It has been a long standing joke in our house that Dustin can not remember birthdays or anniversaries. He is usually good to remember the month the child was born, or at least the season. I guess I can't blame him, there are a lot of them. I even get a little tripped up sometimes.
He doesn't post much on social media but posted this. I think it was so sweet. I'm so glad he still loves me enough to post it on social media..but I couldn't help but laugh.


Either way, he's still a keeper.

Happy Friday!

~Lyndsay

No comments:

Post a Comment