Monday, January 18, 2016

How To Save Money On Hair Cuts....

   Not long after we were married, Dustin bought a clipper set on sale at Sears. He had decided to cut his own hair. (He made this decision while standing in front of the sales display in Sears ;).) His first few attempts were less than desirable. The torch was quickly passed to me...because I can actually see the back of his head. hehe.

  Don't get me wrong..I was not exactly a pro at hair or anything..and this was before youtube was a big thing. Sometimes, I was very thankful that he wore hats to work!

  We were flying by the seat of our pants. But it was saving us money. So we pressed forward.

Over time, I got better at cutting hair. I cut Dustin's, trimmed my own and expanded with each new addition to the family.
Am I a professional?...absolutely not.

Have I screwed up everyone's hair at least once? Oh definitely!

Have I accidentally caught the husbands ear in the trimmers? Mmmaayybe...*side glance*

 ...sshhh...I still deny that this happened, even to his face...even though his ear was obviously bleeding. I also may have done this to our son as well. I can't help the fact that the men in this house can not sit still! Anytime I screw up, I am always quick to remind Dustin that I am saving him money and that this was HIS idea about 14 years ago. hehe
 

  Have I saved my family a LOT of money? DEFINITELY! :)  
   
  We have been doing this for over 14 years. I can't even begin to imagine how much it has saved us over the years. At a minimum I would say it saves us $15-30 a month. Between 5 heads of hair, (Babies don't count. At least not my poor, bald headed babies) that's around $180-360 dollars a year. 

  I will occassionally take the kids and get things straightened or refreshed..I did it for myself as well. I do not claim to be a professional, and firmly believe that there is a time and a place to go to a salon. There is something awesome about going and getting your hair done. It feels fresh and crisp afterwards. 

  Recently, I have been going and getting mine cut. Last Fall, I decided to go with a shorter cut..one that requires upkeep. I felt really guilty about the money for a while..then I reminded myself that I'm already saving the family enough money in the hair cutting area....as well as...this is my one thing. I am not high maintenance. Almost all of my clothes are from clearance, or from ebay. I do not wear loads of expensive make up or get my nails done. So I decided my hair is something just for me. :) It even got its own line in the budget. Thank you EveryDollar!

  Last Friday was my scheduled hair appointment. All of my helpers went with me. 
(Have I mentioned how great my hair lady is? She didn't even bat an eye at my crew.) 

   Emma had been on the fence about cutting her hair for months. It was really long and had been that way for over two years. Well, she decided on Friday that 'today was the day' and she couldn't wait another moment to have it gone.
  It had been a long time since I had done a girls short style, and I was nervous! I even tried to talk her into waiting and going to the lady who does my hair. She would not wait. 
  
  So...we cut her hair. Eight inches shorter and lots of layering...and she is happy. I got really worried about half way through with the layers. Once it was washed and dried and I did a little more trimming it was ok. Her hair has a lot more body than it did a few years ago, I was not prepared for that. 
(I am probably going to take her to have it thinned this week. I have thin hair and have never had that problem. LOL We do not have the tools for thinning.)

  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and Emma has been bouncing around like it's Christmas for three days now. ;) You can't deny the wonderfulness of a new hair cut. Even at that age! 
She loves it and I love the fact that we saved some cash. 

  Like I said above...I have absolutely no issues with Salons. I admire the people who do it.
 I dread  cutting hair sometimes...especially in the winter. Hair cuts are so much easier, in the Summer, when you can do it outside. So much less mess! 

  We just feel that this is one of the areas in our lives that we can cut some corners and save a little cash. 

  If you decide to give this a try, there is not much to starting up. 

  The supply list is short.

  -Comb
  -Squirt Bottle With Water
  -Clipper Set (If you have men/boys in the house)
  -Scissors (I usually get a medium priced pair at Walmart)
  -Towel (you should already have that)

 The start up cost is fairly low maybe $30...Then all you need is time, practice and good bit of YouTube!  
This is not for everyone. I know quite a few people who have tried it and it didn't work out. That's OK! There are certain things that I'm not comfortable doing to save money.(Homemade Laundry Detergent, UGH!) It is all in what you feel comfortable doing.

 Do you cut your families hair? 

 If you read this and try it for yourself, I want to hear about it!


Blessings and Happy Money Saving!

Lyndsay..THHM
  
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Three years ago I had to leave my hair dresser of 18 years. I'll admit it, I'm vain. I'd never attempt to cut my own hair, had enough Mom cuts growing up that my haircut by a professional is a necessity not a want. Leaving Tami was a hard decision. In doing so, Billy decided he was done with going elsewhere and I was doing it. Since then ,I have to agree,
    It's hard to mess up a no.3 cut. Last month I finally branched out. I used a no. 2 on the sides and 3 on top. Not ready for any designs yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the same - I've been the family hairdresser for our family of 7 for a decade. I'm the only one who goes to someone to get my hair cut - I only go to a cheap walk-in place like Great Clips maybe once a year, and I'm still shocked at how much it would cost to do that regularly. Cutting everyone's hair at home myself saves us money and it's more convenient and takes less time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to see you stopped by my blog! I feel honored. :)
      Just the thought of loading everyone up to take them for regular hair cuts sounds exhausting...and the money. Ick. Guess I'll stick with doing it myself. ;)

      Delete