Saturday, January 18, 2020

Debt Free Chicken Wings

 Let's talk about debt for a minute.
 We have made our fair share of mistakes with money in the past; from owning too much house for our income, credit cards, not budgeting, multiple vehicle payments, the list goes on. We even did the really dumb things like financing meat and fitness equipment. We have joked that the only debt mistakes we didn't make were student loans and time shares.
  When we started on our debt free journey and worked to change our habits, and dig ourselves out of the debt we had created for ourselves, we all had to make some sacrafices. 

  One thing that hit my husband hard was chicken wings. 
  Yes, really.
  He loves chicken wings, always has and probably always will. During baby step 2, he decided to give up chicken wings. This was not an easy thing for him to do. However, when he saw how expensive they were, and how fast it adds up, he was usually happy to skip them. He still had his moments though, one Friday evening a little over half way through our journey, he proclaimed 'When we are debt free, I'm ordering wings whenever I want.'
And I said. "So basically you want 'debt free chicken wings?'"
To which he replied. 'Yes, when we are done, I will have my debt free chicken wings whenever I want and I won't feel bad. Because it's a luxury, and we will have earned it. 

  Guys, he takes his chicken wings very seriously. The very day we paid off our last date we ordered pizza to celebrate and he brought home three kinds of wings! 
  
  It's been almost three years since we finished baby step 2, and he almost always orders chicken wings. He proudly brings them home and chows them down. I have not once ever said a word about him ordering wings since finishing step 2. Because everyone needs that one thing that they can just have after finishing that big step. Now, I just secretly smile remembering that conversation every single time I see him add wings to our pizza order. It's a good memory, of days and debt that have 'gone bye'. 
*See what I did there?*

  Friends, temporarily giving something up to reach a goal that will forever change your life will always be 100% worth it in the end. 

  So tell me, what is you one thing you are giving up to make your life better in the long run? 

What's your 'debt free chicken wing'?

Happy Saturday!
-Lyndsay


No comments:

Post a Comment